Finding the right people to follow on Twitter is a bit like creating your own club.
You want to make sure you choose the right people to become members. Then you need to start engaging with them so they feel welcome and help your club grow.
Once you’ve built up trust and relationships with them they’re more likely to accept you and extend your reach by sharing your content and introducing you to others.
Finding The Right People
Using Twitter Search can be a bit hit and miss when to comes to finding choosing the right people to follow. Although the advanced search allows you to search using many filters keyword, hashtag, location and even sentiment, the information in the returned results is relatively thin. You’ll get to see their bio, profile image and if you click on their name the number of followers and a handful of Tweets.
That’s why the service from Twtrland is bit more useful.
How It Works
You perform a search from the home page on the subject of your choice, say Fashion.
You can then filter the results by:
- Typecast: Celebrities, Power Users, Casual, Novice
- Estimated Age
The results can then be sorted by Relevance, Number of Followers or ReTweets per 100 Tweets.
Once you have your list of potential users you can view in depth information about each one.
When you search for a user on Twtrland it basically takes all of the information about a user from their Twitter profile. Then it combines it with data from their stream and follower activity and followers profiles to create one single profile dashboard with lots of useful information right at hand.
As well as displaying the standard bio, profile image and follower information it also provides the following allowing you to gauge a clearer picture of their activity on Twitter:
- Tweets per day – Average rate of tweets per day since joining twitter.
- RT100 – Average number of retweets the user gets for every 100 tweets.
- Replies100 – Average number of replies the user gets for every 100 tweets.
- Followers Distribution – Based on a sample from the user’s followers.
- Close Friends – Top 5 users that share the most 2 way replies with the user.
- Top Followers – highest ranked followers, based on a 5k sample.
- Content Breakdown
- Famous words: all-time\recent most retweeted tweets.
- Plain Tweets: just text.
- Pictures: Instagram, Twitpic, Lockerz, Flickr and yfrog.
- Replies: Users that this user replies to
- Links: web-links.
- Songs: blip, soundhound, tinysong.
- Checkins: Foursquare.
- Retweets: by the user.
- Mentions: to other users.
You Take It From Here
Combined this information gives you a much more accurate picture of the persons activity and likely influence. Whether you’re looking of top sources of industry information, trying to find key influencers in your market or just interesting people to connect with Twtrland makes it easier.
Now you can select who you think are the right people to join your club. Engage them in relevant conversation. Share their Tweets or create remarkable content that will be of interest to them. And if treated with respect they should reciprocate.